Charts & Graphs are built using our new Chart Chooser. Like Excel's Chart Wizard, the Chart Chooser does not present every chart or graph option at the outset. Rather, it helps you to build a base version of your chart or graph which you can then further customize.
When to Use Chart Chooser
The Chart Chooser works best when all the data points for your chart or graph come from either specific financial accounts (such as Cost of Materials) or total sections of reports (Total Income, Total G&A Expense, etc.) If your chart requires information that is not being synced to Qvinci, or if formulas or other calculations are required to obtain your data points, it may be best to build a chart from a table as you would in Excel.
NOTE: Chart Chooser is only compatible with P&L Monthly and Balance Sheet reports. To create charts with other types of reports, refer to the article on building a chart from a table.
- If your chart or graph will include accounts that are specific to a Company or Client, be sure to navigate to that Company or Client in the top left before navigating to the Report Editor.
- Navigate to Reports & Libraries > (New) Libraries to open up a template.
- In the top left, click the Chart Chooser icon.
- Choose the data set for your chart or graph.
- Frequency: This determines how your data set will be grouped in the chart or graph. By Entity will split your data set so that each Entity can be viewed as a piece of the whole rather than splitting the data set into date ranges. The other options will split your data set into the corresponding time periods.
- Date Range: Select one of our rolling date ranges from the drop-down.
- Offset Date Range: This option can help you modify the date range. Ror example, if you want a 2 Months Ago chart, if you haven't closed last month's books yet, the date range "Last Month" "Offset by 1 month" will show you the completed data for 2 months ago.
- Series: Search for and choose the specific account(s) to be included in your chart or graph.
- The search will only display accounts for the specific Company or Client data set you chose before opening the Report Editor.
- You can choose individual accounts, an entire account type (Total Income), or a subset of accounts (Total General & Admin Expense).
- Click the green Next button in the top right.
- Choose the type and sub-type of the chart or graph you'd like to build and click the green Next button at the top right.
- NOTE: The preview on the right shows only an example of that chart or graph type, rather than a true representation of your data set.
- Set the name and size of your chart's title, then click the green Finish button at the top right.
- TIP: "By Entity" charts or graphs do not have the date range in the legend, so you may want to include a date range in the title of By Entity charts if the date range isn't labeled somewhere else in your template.
A base version of your chart or graph will be added to your template. To see what the final product will look like, you'll need to click either Save or Save As, then click Preview.
Like Excel's Chart Wizard, the Chart Chooser is only used to set the basic settings for your chart and is not used to customize individual chart elements. If you need to modify your dataset or the chart type, though, the Chart Chooser does come in quite handy.
- Click on the graph to edit.
- Click the Chart Chooser button at the top left. This will bring you to the first page where your dataset can be modified.
- On the left side, you can modify the Frequency and Date Range (see step 4 above) as needed. On the right side, you can either add new financial accounts by searching for them in the Series text box or remove them by clicking the red X to the left of the existing data series. Once your accounts are set correctly, click the green Next button in the top right.
- Change the chart type and sub-type if needed, then click Next.
- Edit the name or font settings for your chart title, then click Finish.
We're More Than Happy to Help
Schedule a call with Customer Success below, email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-512-637-7337 Ext. 1 Available M-F, 7:30am-6:30pm CT and it is always FREE!